ILLINOIS TOBACCO QUITLINE PROVIDES FREE TELEPHONIC TOBACCO CESSATION SERVICES
Since 2001, the Illinois Tobacco Quitline (ITQL) has been providing free telephonic tobacco cessation services. The ITQL is funded by the Illinois Department of Public Health and co-managed with the American Lung Association. The Quitline service is now available for teens and adults, ages 13 and up. Cessation services are available for all forms of tobacco, including e-cigarettes and vapes.
The Quitline is staffed by a team of certified tobacco treatment specialists, ready to assist in anyone's tobacco free journey. The Quitline also has an interpretation service, if needed, along with bilingual staff. A key enhancement that is available to those who qualify is free nicotine replacement therapy, including patches, gum and lozenges. These products are available two times per year for up to eight weeks for individuals who have limited or no insurance. All individuals will receive an educational resource packet highlighting tips and showcasing the benefits of quitting tobacco.
Online support services are also available through www.quityes.org and www.smokefree.gov. Online enrollment for free counseling services at www.quityes.org is a confidential opportunity for individuals who want to begin their quit journey by answering assessment questions in privacy and when convenient with their schedule. Online enrollment is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Enrolled callers can sign-up for a free Motivational Text Program to receive one text message per day for eight weeks and is available in English and Spanish.
Along with unlimited calls, the Quitline also provides a 7-month follow-up service to check on the smoke-free success. If an individual has relapsed, assistance is offered once again to be tobacco free. Now is the time – reach out to the Illinois Tobacco Quitline by calling 866-QUIT-YES or enrolling or chatting online at www.quityes.org.
Journeyworks Materials List
The Illinois Tobacco Quitline has tobacco cessation pamphlets that were purchased through Journeyworks to better assist clients who are looking to quit any form of tobacco. The Illinois Tobacco Quitline Outreach Team has compiled a list of materials that are ready to order with the Illinois Tobacco Quitline logo for different populations. If you are interested in ordering any of these materials, please e-mail Marilyn Felix, Health Promotions Specialist, at Marilyn.Felix@Lung.org.
- Vaping and Pregnancy: available in English and Spanish
- 10 Best Reasons Not to Smoke While You’re Pregnant: available in English and Spanish
- Pregnancy and Secondhand Smoke: available in English and Spanish
Teens and Adults Who Use E-cigarettes/Vapes:
- How To Quit Vaping: available in English
- E-cigarettes: 8 Things Everyone Should Know: available English and Spanish
- Tobacco Jokes and Riddles: available in English
- LGBTQ Community and Tobacco: What You Need To Know: available in English
Low Socioeconomic Status:
- Tobacco and Depression: available in English
- The Heath Consequences of Smoking: available in English and Spanish
- The Health Consequences of Spit Tobacco: available in English
- Relapse happens: 10 Tips to Quit Smoking Again: available in English
For organizations wishing to access the Illinois Tobacco Quitline Referral Toolkit and order forms, CLICK HERE.