Start Date & Time
6/27/2018 8:00 AM
End Date & Time
6/27/2018 3:00 PM
3000 S. Dirksen Parkway, Springfield, IL
Crowne Plaza & Conference Center
Cost is $40 per attendee.
Kathy Fauble or Liz Swanson, ICAHN Professional Education Services, at 217.223.0452
Opioid Crisis Next Door: Are We Hitting the Mark?
The next Opioid Crisis Next Door Workshop, "Keeping the Momentum: Are We Hitting the Mark?" will be held on Wednesday, June 27 at the Crowne Plaza, 3000 S. Dirksen Parkway, Springfield, IL from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. This workshop will focus on new opioid prescription guidelines and what medical practitioners are doing with Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) and other options for dealing with the chronic pain of those affected by opioid and other substance use disorders. Medical practitioners, healthcare providers, local coalitions, and other rural community stakeholders focused on combatting opioid misuse, heroin use, and substance use disorders are invited to attend.
The agenda includes:
- 8:00 a.m. Registration
- 8:45 a.m. Welcome and opening remarks - Nirav D. Shah, MD, JD, Director of the Illinois Department of Public Health
- 9:00 a.m. Are We Making a Difference? - Omar Manejwala, MD, psychiatrist, and national speaker
- 10:00 a.m. Treatment Programs: Current Options for Substance Use Disorders in Illinois - Kirk Moberg, MD, PhD, Illinois Institute for Addiction Recovery
- 10:45 a.m. Status of Substance Use Disorders in Illinois - Cinda Edwards, President, Illinois Coroner's Association
- 11:15 a.m. Overdose Lifeline/Indiana Success Story - Kourtnaye Sturgeon, Director of Education, Overdose Lifeline, and Ada Bair, CEO, Memorial Hospital, Carthage
- 12:00 p.m. ECHO Telehealth Project - Adam Kohlrus, Assistant Vice President of Quality, Safety and Health Policy, Illinois Health and Hospital Association's Institute for Innovations in Care and Quality
- 12:15 p.m. Networking Lunch (Buffet-style)
- 1:00 p.m. BREAK-OUT SESSIONS
- TRACK ONE: Narcan (Naloxone) Training - The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District will present a "Train-the-Trainer" session on the administration of Narcan, an opioid antagonist used for the complete or partial reversal of opioid overdose
- TRACK TWO: Coalition Building - This panel presentation is designed to offer participants best practices for starting a coalition as well as insight on how to help keep your coalition moving forward. Speakers include Liz Toomey, SIU School of Medicine's Center for Rural Health and Social Service Development, Rural Project Specialist; Sara Buehnerkemper, PharmD, Director of Pharmacy, Carle Richland Memorial Hospital; and Shea Haurey, Executive Director, Human Service Center, Red Bud, IL
- TRACK THREE: Practitioner care - Dr. Paul Bonucci, Emergency Department Medical Director, Illinois Valley Community Hospital, will present Medication Assisted Treatment...Your Challenges and Successes, followed by Dr. Michael Wahl, FACEP, FACMT, Senior Clinician Educator, Medical Director, Illinois Poison Center, who will discuss Emergency Department Prescribing Guidelines: How do we make them work?
- 2:30 p.m. Telling My Story: Changing My Life - Andrew Dewey, Springfield
- 3:00 p.m. Evaluation/Adjournment
CONTINUING EDUCATION HOURS: 5.25 Nurse Contact Hours / 5.0 LCSW Clock Hours / 5.0 LCPC Contact Hours
The registration fee is $40 per attendee and will be used to pay for food, materials, and continuing education credits.